Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Passing of a Friend and Facilitator

I just came back from the prayer ceremony held to send off Michael Butterworth.

I received news of his passing yesterday evening and it felt like my heart has dropped to the bottom of my stomach. I am saddened by what I learnt but I am happy that he moved on peacefully. He had a fruitful life. That’s important.

I cannot help being emotional about it since I have knew him for many years. I had looked towards him as my mentor in what I had done for the Ministry of Defence during those times when I set-up and ran the Innovation and Transformation Office from 2001 to 2007.

There are many flash-backs and these are images of those times when both of us were struggling with issues and matters related to bring creativity into the organisation. The discourses and conversations I had with Butterworth, both in our official capacity and in social gatherings with other friends, have shaped my passion for creative, innovation and entrepreneurship. My friendship with Butterworth has developed me to who I am today.

I am glad that these are all happy moments and I will always cherish them.

Thanks Butter. You will always be remembered.

This article was first written on 25 Aug 2007, within the hour after the wake on the same day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met and worked with 'Butter' during the years when we were on the Mindef Innovation Journey (2003-2006).

Butter and I had many brief engaging conversations both on the professional front as well as personal.

Once he told me that he has the ability to know in advance before an incident was going to happen to him. He has had this ability since young and many times it has proven itself.

His 'signature' mark that many of us remember him by is the 'Ribena' pack that he uses in his workshops as a training aid to demonstrate how the design of that pack was probably inspired by the design of the infusion packs found in hospitals.

In his own way, he was an inspiration to many of us who have worked with him.

'Butter' you will always be remembered.

Prabu Naidu
2 Sep'07